Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Dining Out At Mojave


Mojave is a wonderful new addition to the Ditmars Blvd. and 31st Street area in Astoria. Their cuisine is described as Southwestern. Last week I went there with a large group which allowed me to sample a bit more appetizers than I normally would have. I enjoyed a sampling of the Hand Hacked Hass Avocado Guacamole and also the Corn Crusted Calamari Cracklins - both were great. Each table got their own plate of chips with 2 different salsas. Each salsa had a distinct flavor and was quite good. I only wish I could have had more as the serving size of the salsa was a little small.

Mojave has a varied specialty drink menu with many options to choose from. Some brave friends of mine sampled a spicy margarita which had jalapenos in it. Too spicy for my taste but they enjoyed them. For my entree, I had the Tejas Blue Crab,Chilis and Cheese Quesedilla. It was delicious and also quite filling. There were so many items I wanted to try on the menu, I will have to go back another time again soon.

The dining area at Mojave is decorated quite nicely with dim lighting brightened by many candles. It is a very enjoyable and welcoming atmosphere. There is also outdoor garden seating for when the weather is nice.

Mojave offers a weekend brunch menu and has a pre-fixe lunch available. Head there on a Thursday and you get a complimentary margarita with dinner. There are also tequila tastings and live music on Thursdays. Happy Hour at the bar is from 4-7pm with $5 House Cocktails, Wine and Sangria along with $3 Draft beer.

Mojave
22-36 31st Street
http://www.mojaveny.com/

No comments: